Benefits Of Graduated Compression
LEGEND LEGWEAR™ and LEGEND® Sports Compression Socks & Leg Sleeves incorporate LYCRA® Spandex and the highest quality yarns available. Through the use of state of the art circular knitting machines, we are able to manufacture the finest graduated compression garments available today. Our graduated compression products will improve performance and provide medical and therapeutic support.
Graduated compression hosiery has been widely proven to improve symptoms of discomfort, swelling, fatigue and aching of the feet and legs. Graduated compression puts revitalizing pressure on the veins to improve blood flow and circulation. Medical professionals have long recommended compression hosiery to patients to improve blood circulation and overall health of their legs.
Compression Therapy utilizes graduated compression stockings, which mean the most concentrated compression (or pressure) begins at the ankle and reduces further up the leg. Compression hosiery and socks apply pressure to your legs to help the veins in your legs carry blood back to the heart.
Pressure is measured in mmHg (millimeters of mercury). The various compression levels indicate pressure at the ankle. The compression range (e.g. 15-20 mmHg) is based on an individual’s ankle size.
Normally, the higher the compression level, the more support provided to the legs.
Generally, the recommended level of compression of a garment is determined by the severity of the condition. As a rule, for more serious or chronic conditions, a higher compression level is required.
Graduated compression socks and stockings are available in various compression levels. The most common US compression levels & ranges are as follows:
- 8-15 mmHg- Gentle Compression: For leg fatigue; achy legs and feet; traveling; people on their feet for long hours.
- 15-20 mmHg- Moderate Compression or Therapeutic Compression: For frequent travelers; tired achy legs; those prone to mild swelling in legs, ankles and feet; during and after pregnancy; spider varicose veins; prolonged siting or standing. Encourages vascular wellness.
- 20-30 mmHg- Firm or Medical Grade Compression: For varicose veins; moderate swelling and edema; arterial and venous insufficiencies; reduces pooling of blood in the legs; protection against deep vein thrombosis (DVT); during and after pregnancy; Frequent and long distance travel.
- 30-40 mmHg- Extra Firm Compression: Chronic venous insufficiency (blood pooling causing swelling/pain) that
lead to ulcers.
It is important to seek the advice of a healthcare professional for proper fitting and compression level that is best for you.
Most people can benefit from graduated compression legwear. The most common reasons for wearing graduated compression include:
- Improved athletic performance & recovery
- Relief of aching, tired, swollen feet and legs
- Comfort for routine travelers and long distance plane flights
- Relief of swelling and soreness from prolonged sitting or standing
LEGEND® Compression Wear helps your legs feel refreshed and revitalized!
Compression therapy products are also recommended and beneficial for the treatment of symptoms associated with many medical conditions. Graduated Compression hosiery and socks help prevent and/or treat the following indications:
- Pooling of blood in the legs
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) prevention during travel
- Varicose veins
- Mild Edema
- Arterial and venous insufficiencies
- DVT management following surgery
- Swelling/pain during and after pregnancy
- Venous ulcerations
- Superficial thrombophlebitis
Graduated compression pushes de-oxygenated blood from the veins back to the heart and allows the flow of oxygen-rich blood back to your legs resulting greater strength and vitality.
LYCRA® is a registered trademark of Invista.